Most versatile product in your Pantry?
Aside from the Pantry?use of Baking Soda for making your cakes fluffy and soft, there are more than dozens of other uses of baking soda making it a versatile multi-purpose product. For the Nerds (Others can skip this paragraph) Chemically baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate(NaHCO3), it is a bond between one sodium (Na), hydrogen (H) and carbon (C) atom and three oxygen (O) atoms. Baking Soda is odorless white crystalline powder. It has a Ph of 8.4 which makes it alkaline.
In this post, I will share top 10 Baking Soda hacks, which will alter the way you have been using baking soda for years!!
- Cleaning Agent: Baking soda is an excellent cheap alternative to those commercial grade cleaning supplies. Baking soda can be used to clean your pots and pan and removes those stubborn stains. Sprinkle in some baking soda to those greasy pots and scrub the oil and grease off. 10x result with 1/10 of effort !!
- Deodorizer Agent: Baking soda can be used to remove bad smell from your Fridge, Shoes, even your body, pat some baking powder on your underarms and this will take care of the odor.
- Teeth Whitner: Take some baking soda on your toothbrush and just brush as you would normally do, this will not only remove odor from your mouth but will also whiten your teeth. They say old is always gold !!
- Natural Shampoo: Ph of water is 7 and baking soda is 8.4 which is very near water on the Ph scale making it a little alkaline compared to water. I use Baking soda as an alternative to shampoo sometimes. To restores the Ph balance I do an apple cider vinegar rinse (Ph 3-5) post this.
- Drain Daddy: Mix one cup of baking soda and one cup of vinegar. Let me mixture react and then pour it down the clogged drain and let it sit for 10 -15 mins. This magic mixture will clear your drain.
- Dry Shampoo: Mix cornstarch and baking soda in equal quantity and you can store it in a salt shaker.When in hurry apply a small amount of it to the roots, using your hair brush or fingers run it through your hair, Baking soda will absorb the excess oil and odor (if any) in your hair and you will be ready to go !!
Caution: Do not apply Baking soda directly to your roots, it could be too strong for your scalp.
- Extend life of fresh flowers: Hate to see those fresh flowers dying within a week, add a pinch of baking soda to the water to extend the life of your favorite flowers.
- Natural Air Freshener: Trying to cut out the chemical and go organic where ever possible, then this is for you. Into an empty spray bottle add two spoons of baking soda. shake it well to dissolve the baking soda, to this add 10 -12 drops of Lavender essential oil, shake well and spray it in our whole house. This is most cost efficient and chemical-free version of air freshener you can get your hands on.
- Get rid of Pet Smell: keeping a pet and keep your house odor free can be challenging. Use baking soda to sprinkle it over your pet bed, leave it for a couple of hours and then vacuum it, this will take the odor away from the pet bed.
- Freshen your Toilet: Place an open box of baking soda in your toilet and add a few drops of fresh linen essential oil to it. Let me mixture do its magic, after a couple of hours you will be welcoming yourself to a world of freshness.
I know what you are thinking, it said 10 Hack, but I am throwing this one as a bonus for you guys !!
- Diaper Disposal Bins: Instead of spending your hard earned money on those fancy products in the market, make your own Diaper Disposal Pail. Sprinkel some good amount of Baking Soda at the bottom of a regular bin and use it as Diaper Disposal Pail. It will absorb and seal away odors and keep your nursery smelling fresh
So there are my top 10 hacks for baking soda! Want to graduate to next level? Here are Top 10 Used tea bag Hacks.