Fenugreek is an annual plant in the family Fabaceae, with leaves consisting of three small ob ovate to oblong leaflets. It is cultivated worldwide as a semi-arid crop. Its seeds and fresh and dried leaves are common ingredients in dishes from the Asian continent.
In Indian cuisine, Fenugreek is not only a vegetable but it is also an herb depending on what form it is being used in. This multifaceted veggie/condiment/herb has medicinal values as well and has been part Ayurveda from over many centuries now. In this post, I will some hidden values of Fenugreek and why it should be part of your daily diet !!
- Promotes Digestion: Fenugreek seeds are rich in antioxidants, fibers and helps in keeping digestive health at its best by assisting in digestion and flushing out organic waste from the body.
- Controls Diabetics: Dietary supplementation of 10 g Fenugreek/day in prediabetes subjects was associated with lower conversion to diabetes with no adverse effects and beneficial possibly due to its decreased insulin resistance.Click here for the detailed Study
- Help Control Cholesterol: Regular consumption of Fenugreek seeds aids body in fighting cholesterol build up due to rich diet and sedentary lifestyles.A study was performed on mice for the same and it was concluded that Fenugreek seeds are highly effective in cholesterol control.
- Relieves Flatulence and Bloating: Indian kitchen is full of home remedies for flatulence and bloating. Bishop’s Weed, Garlic, Ginger, Fennel seeds and last but not least Fenugreek seeds. Dry roast them, let them cool and then make their powder. At night before hitting the bed, eat a teaspoon of this powder with luke warm water. You can do this daily and you will experience relief within a couple of days.
- Relieves in PMS: A strong brewed Fenugreek Tea will not only provide relief in PMS but will also pump you up with energy and vigor for the rest of the day.
- Increase Brest Milk Production in Lactating women: One of the main reasons why infants are weaned within first 3 -4 months is mainly due to insufficient breast milk production. From centuries in India Lactating mother are encouraged to consume overnight soaked Fenugreek seeds for increased milk production. Recently a study was performed on a group of women and it was concluded that Fenugreek does increase breast milk production in lactating women.
- Help Control Dandruff: Soak 2 -3 teaspoons of Fenugreek seeds overnight make it into a paste and massage it into your scalp and let it work for 30 minutes (if you can leave it for 2 hours, even better) and then wash it off. Repeat this every time you wash your head, you will see considerable improvement and dandruff will be gone for good.
- Fights Acne: Fenugreek seeds face pack helps clear the skin, brightens it and helps restore moisture. It is rich in antioxidants and washing your face with Fenugreek water once in a week is beneficial for the skin.
- Helps in Flushing Toxins from Body: Fenugreek seeds are natural detoxify agents. It is rich in vitamins, minerals and contains a special fiber called mucilage. Mucilage is a great colon cleanser and detoxifying blood.
- Protects Liver: Live is the soap of body, it flushes chemicals waste and detoxifies the body. An injury to the liver or damage due to excessive alcohol consumption can have a serious impact on your health. One of the main causes for decreased liver function is excessive alcohol intake, and studies have shown that fenugreek seeds are very effective in controlling the impact of alcohol on your liver.
- Hair Groth: Fenugreek seeds have a reputation of a hair growth stimulant. Application of Fenugreek seeds paste to hair has shown results of strong, healthy, lustrous hair.
- Cures Male Infertility: A recent Study show that men who regularly consumed Fenugreek seeds have shown healthy sperm profile and mental alertness.85.4% of the study population showed improvements in sperm counts. Sperm morphology has also improved for more than 10 % of the population.
Check out this post for how to consume Fenugreek Seeds.
So there are my top 12 hacks for Fenugreek Seeds! Want to graduate to next level? Check out How to lose weight without starving.